Wejdan Abu Elhaija is a Professor of Electrical Engineering / Electrical Machines. She is currently HRH's Advisor for Academic Affairs at the Royal Scientific Society (RSS), and Vice President for Academic Affairs at Princess Sumaya University for Technology (PSUT) in Jordan. She has held a number of administrative posts, including Vice President for Al-Zaytoonah University of Jordan in 2016. When she was named Dean of the King Abdullah II School of Engineering at Princess Sumaya University of Technology in 2011, she became Jordan's first female Dean of Engineering. She earned her PhD in Electrical Engineering from Queen's University Belfast in the United Kingdom. Her work has received numerous honors, including the Hisham Adeeb Hijjawi Applied Science Award in 2004, the King Abdullah II Design and Development Bureau Award for Best Design Model in 2008, and the Jordan University Center for Women's Studies Award in 2007. In 2007, she was appointed President's Assistant for Quality Assurance, and in 2009, she was appointed Head of the Electronics Engineering Department. In 2012, the IEEE presented her with a Clementina Saduwa Award for Region 8 in recognition of her remarkable contribution to engineering and IT. She was honored by the US State Department's Women in Science Hall of Fame in 2012. The Senate of Queen's University Belfast, Northern Ireland, awarded her a Doctor of Science in Engineering (DSc) [honoris causa] degree in early 2013 for her significant contributions to engineering. She is a fellow of the British Higher Education Academy in teaching and learning, a senior member of the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE), a consulting engineer at the Jordanian Engineers Association, a member of the Scientific Committee for the InterAcademy Partnership (IAP) as a representative of the Royal Scientific Society of Jordan, and a member of the Science Education Committee at the Association of Academies and Societies of Science in (AASSA).In 2021, she was appointed to represent the IEEE International Society as an ABET Evaluator. Her research has been published in numerous peer-reviewed and highly indexed journals.
كلية الملك عبدالله الثاني للهندسة
University Vice-President of Academic Affairs
Council of Deans
1. Sumaya bint El Hassan, Cordova Kyle E., Rabadi Ghaith, Abu Elhaija Wejdan, “The (Un)Sustainability of Higher Education Institutions in Jordan, Frontiers in Sustainability, Vol 2, 2021, DOI=10.3389/frsus.2021.653992.
2. Homam Al Bakri, Wejdan Abu Elhaija, Ali Al Zyoud, “Solar photovoltaic panels performance improvement using active self-cleaning nanotechnology of SurfaShield G”, Energy, Volume 223, 2021, 119908, ISSN 0360-5442, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.energy.2021.119908.
3. Omar Mohamed, Zain Bitar, Alla Abu-Sultaneh, Wejdan Abu Elhaija, “A simplified Virtual Power System Lab for Distance Learning and ABET Accredited Education Systems”, The International Journal of Electrical Engineering & Education, https://doi.org/10.1177/0020720921997064. First Published February 24, 2021.
4. Wejdan Abu Elhaija, Ahed Al Wahadni, Zoubir Hamici and Mohammad Abu Afifeh, “Current Status of Engineering Education in Jordan”, 2021 6th International STEM Education Conference (iSTEM-Ed), November 10-12, 2021.
5. Nabeel A. Tawalbeh, Wejdan S. Abu Elhaija, Suad S. AlMattar and Mohammed A. Khasawneh, “Impact of COVID-19 on Electric Energy Consumption: Jordan as case study”, 12th International Renewable Energy Congress "IREC 2021", October 26-28, 2021.
6. Rana A. M. Alhorani, Wejdan Abu Elhaija, Subhi M. Bazlami and Hesham S. Ahmad, “ABET Accreditation Requirements and Preparation: Lessons Learned from a Case Study of Civil Engineering Program”, Cogent Engineering, Sep 2021.
7. Wejdan Abu Elhaija, “Scientific articles for sale in black market”, The Jordan Times Newspaper, Oct 18,2021.
8. Qudah, Manar, Abu-Elhaija, Wejdan, Widyan, Mohammad, “Performance Analysis of Different Series Compensation Schemes of SMIB Power System Incorporating PV Generator”, International Transactions on Electrical Energy Systems. Volume 31, Issue1, January 2021, e12699 2020, DOI: 10.1002/2050-7038.12699.
9. Wejdan Abu Elhaija and Zoubir Hamici, “Robust Unbalance Compensation of Induction Machines using Swarm Intelligence Control: Design and Analysis”, Electric Power Components and Systems, Volume 48, 2020 - Issue 9-10, https://doi.org/10.1080/15325008.2020.1821839.
10. Hesham S Ahmad, Wejdan Abu-Elhaija and Yousef Qandoos, “New Strategy for Enhancing Engineering Practical Teaching through the Development of Infrastructure Learning Hub (ILH)”, 9th International Conference on Engineering, Project, and Production Management (EPPM2018), MATEC Web of Conferences 312, 02001 (2020) https://doi.org/10.1051/matecconf/202031202001.
11. Rona Qatamin, Omar Mohamed and Wejdan Abu Elhaija, “Prediction of Power Output of Wind Turbines using System Identification Techniques” International Review on Modelling and Simulations (I.RE.MO.S.), Vol. 13, N. 1, February (2020) https://doi.org/10.15866/iremos.v13i1.17713.
12. Wejdan Abu Elhaija and Ahed Al-Wahadni,” Online Education: A Tool that Comes with New Rules” Islamic World Academy of Sciences Newsletter, Sep-Dec 2020, Vol. 28, No. 43, pp.5-7.
13. Zoubir Hamici and Wejdan Abu Elhaija,” Power Conditioning with Intelligent Control using a Novel Recursive Stochastic Optimization”, IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, vol. 66, Issue 5, May 2019. DOI: 10.1109/TIE.2018.2856195.
14. Z. Hamici and Wejdan Abu Elhaija,” Novel Current Unbalance Estimation and Diagnosis Algorithms for Condition Monitoring with Wireless Sensor Network and Internet of Things Gateway", IEEE Transactions on Industrial Informatics, vol. 15, Issue 11, 19 November 2019, DOI: 10.1109/TII.2019.2935743. Special Section on Identification and Observation Informatics for Energy Conversion, and Applications.
15. Ali Al-Zyoud, Wejdan Abu Elhaija, “Solar Power Lead Battery Storage Solution Using Cycle Recovery Charging Method”, Journal of Energy Storage, 25 (2019) 100843.
16. Fares S. El-Faouri, Omar Mohamed, and Wejdan Abu Elhaija, “Model-Based Field-Oriented Control of a Three-Phase Induction Motor with Consideration of Rotor Resistance Variation”, International Review of Electrical Engineering 14(3):173, June 2019.
17. W.S. Abu-Elhaija and A. Muetze, “A Voltage Unbalance Factor Coding Technique for Three-Phase Induction Motors”, International Transactions on Electrical Energy Systems 28(4): e2554, DOI: 10.1002/etep.2554, January 2018.
18. Fares S. El-Faouri, Omar Mohamed, and Wejdan Abu Elhaija,” Comparison of Three Phase Induction Motor Control Models Incorporating Mutual Flux Saturation Effect”, International Journal on Energy Conversion (IRECON), vol.5, no.5, 2017.
19. W. Abu-Elhaija, Vahid Ghorbanian, J. Faiz and H. Nejadi Koti, “Significance of Rotor Slots Number on Induction Motor Operation under Broken Bars”, IEMDC May, Miami, Florida, 2017.
20. Fares S. El-Faouri, Omar Mohamed, and Wejdan Abu Elhaija,” D-Q model and control of a three - phase induction motor considering mutual flux saturation effect”, JIEEEC 2017, Amman, Jordan.
21. Mohammad Masoud, Wejdan Abu-Elhaija, Yousef Jaradat, Ismael Jannoud, and Loai Dabbour, “Software Project Management: Resources Prediction and Estimation Utilizing Unsupervised Machine Learning Algorithm”, The 8th International Conference on Engineering, Project, and Production Management EPPM2017, Sep 2017, Amman, Jordan.
22. Yousef Jaradat, Ismael Jannoud, Mohammad Zakaria Masoud, Wejdan Abu-Elhaija, “A Roadmap for SDN-based Network Management: Al-Zaytoonah University of Jordan Case, 18th International conference on Sciences and Techniques of Automatic control & computer engineering, At Tunis-Monastir, Dec 2017.
23. Ayman Faza, Majd Batarseh, and Wejdan Abu-Elhaija, "Upgrading power and energy engineering curricula in Jordanian universities: A case study at PSUT", International Journal of Electrical Engineering Education, (IJEEE), vol. 54, 1: pp. 57-81, Oct. 2016.
24. Wejdan S. Abu Elhaija, Jamal Y. Thalji, “Self-Excited Reluctance Generator: State of the Art and Future Trends”, International Journal on Energy Conversion (IRECON), Vol. 1, July 2014.
25. W. S. Abu-Elhaija and Jawad Faiz, “Review of Series Connected Wound Rotor Three Phase Induction Motors”, 22nd International Symposium on, Power electronics, electrical drives, automation and motion, Naples, Italy, 18-20 June 2014.
26. W. S. Abu-Elhaija, and A. Muetze, “Self-Excitation and Stability at Speed Transients of Self-Excited Single-Phase Reluctance Generators”, IEEE Transactions on Sustainable Energy, vol. 4, issue 1, Jan 2013, pp.136-144.
27. Jawad Faiz, Hossein Ehya and W.S. Abu-Elhaija, “New Optimal Configurations for Two-phase Switched Reluctance Motors”, 8th Jordanian International Electrical and Electronics Engineering Conference” JIEEEC” , Amman-Jordan, 16-18 April 2013.
28. Ehya, Jawad Faiz and W. S. Abu-Elhaija, “Detailed Performance Analysis of Salient Pole Synchronous Generator under Dynamic Eccentricity Fault”, the 8th Jordanian International Electrical and Electronics Engineering Conference JIEEEC, Amman-Jordan, 16-18 April 2013.
29. Jawad Faiz, Mahmud Bijan, Bashir Ebrahimi, W.S. Abu-Elhaija, “Three-Dimensional Magnetic Equivalent Circuit Modeling of Induction Motor”, the 8th Jordanian International Electrical and Electronics Engineering Conference JIEEEC, Amman-Jordan, 16-18 April 2013.
30. W.S. Abu-Elhaija, Bashir Mahdi Ebrahimi, Jawad Faiz, “Influence of Simulation Precision on Broken Rotor Bars Fault Diagnosis Accuracy in Induction Motors”, International Review of Electrical Engineering (I.R.E.E.), Vol. 7, No. 2, March-April, 2012, pp.3935-3940.
31. W. S. Abu-Elhaija, Vahid Ghorbanian, Jawad Faiz and Bashir Mahdi Ebrahimi” Impact of closed-loop on behavior of Inverter-fed Induction Motors with Rotor Broken Bars Fault”, IEEE International Conference on Power Electronics, Drives and Energy Systems (IEEE PEDES 2012), 16-19 December 2012, Bengaluru, India.
32. W. S. Abu-Elhaija, A. M. Takbash, Jawad Faiz and Bashir Mahdi Ebrahimi” Eccentricity Fault Diagnosis in Induction Motors using Global Processors- A Review”, IEEE International Conference on Power Electronics, Drives and Energy Systems (IEEE PEDES 2012), 16-19 December 2012, Bengaluru, India.
33. J. Faiz, B. M. Ebrahimi and W. S. Abu-Elhaija,” Computation of Static and Dynamic Axial and Radial Forces on Power Transformer Windings due to Inrush and Short Circuit Currents”, 2011 IEEE Jordan Conference on Applied Electrical Engineering and Computing Technologies (IEEE AEECT), 6-8 December 2011, The University of Jordan, Amman, Jordan.
34. F. K. Amoura, W.S. Abu-Elhaija, “Time Varying Magnetic Fields under Power Transmission Lines “, IEEE EPQU - Electrical Power Quality and Utilization Conference Lisbon, Portugal, 17-19 October 2011.
35. W.S. Abu-Elhaija and A. Muetze, “Effect of the variation of the rotor impedance with slip on the performance of single-phase excited three-phase induction motors, “IEEE Transaction on Energy Conversion”, Vol. 25, No. 4, Dec 2010, pp.1010-1020.
36. Abu-Elhaija, W. S., Faiz, Jawad and Ebrahimi, Bashir Mahdi, “Analytical Prediction of Instantaneous Torque and Speed for Induction Motors with Mixed-Eccentricity Fault Using Magnetic-Field Equations”, Electromagnetics, 30: 6, 525 - 540, 2010, pp.525-540.
37. J. Faiz, B. Ebrahimi, H. A. Toliyat, W. S. Abu-Elhaija, “Mixed-fault diagnosis in induction motors considering varying load and broken bars location”, Energy Conversion and Management, Volume 51, Issue 7, July 2010, pp.1432-1441.
38. W.S. Abu-Elhaija, “Effect of variable slip rotor impedance on the performance of singly excited three phase induction motor”, International Conference on Electric Machines and Drives IEMDC '09, Miami, Florida., 2009.
39. Dahab, W. S. Abu-Elhaija, F. K. Amoura "A Comparative Study of Electric Field Beneath Compact and Non Compact Transmission Lines", International Journal of Electrical Engineering Education, (IJEEE), UK, Volume 44, No.1, Jan 2007, pp.76-83.
40. Al-Zaben, W. S. Abu-Elhaija, M. Alomoush "Identification of Three Phase Transformer Abnormal Conditions Using Wavelet Entropy," IEEE International Electric Machines and Drives Conference (IEEE IEMDC 2007), Antalya, Turkey, 3-5 May 2007.
41. W.S. Abu-Elhaija, A. Al-Zaben, M. Alomoush "Quantifying Severity of unbalanced conditions of induction motor using wavelet entropy", Electric Power Components and Systems, Volume 34, No.9, Sept. 2006, pp. 1001-1013.
42. Abu-Elhaija, Wejdan, "Capacitance Requirement of Single-Phase Self Excited Reluctance Generator using Eigenvalues Criterion”, IEEE PES Transmission and Distribution Conference and Exposition, Dallas, Texas, 21-25, May 2006.
43. Ahed Al-Wahadni and Wejdan Abu Elhaija,” Jordan constitution and Human Rights Acts”, DNNL: 2006/2/285, International Library, Jordan.
44. Dahab, F. K. Amoura and W. S. Abu-Elhaija “Comparison of Magnetic Field Distribution of Non-Compact and Compact Parallel Transmission Line Configurations”, IEEE Transaction on Power Delivery, Volume 20, No.3, July 2005, pp.2114-2118.
45. W. S. Abu-Elhaija, F. K. Amoura “Fault Analysis of Six Phase Power System Using Six Phase Symmetrical Components”, Electric Power Components and Systems, Volume 33, No. 6, June 2005, pp. 657-671.
46. F. K. Amoura, W. S. Abu-Elhaija. “Deriving the Signal-to-Noise Ratio Probability of Error and Performance Measure Matrices for Distribution Line Carrier Signals Propagation Using Bus Impedance Approach”, IEEE Transaction on Power Delivery, Volume 19, No.1, Jan 2004, pp. 96-104.
47. W. Abu-Elhaija, C.E. Tindall, J.P. Martin. “Finite Element Time-Stepping Method for the Prediction of Small Alternator Transient Response”, Electric Power Components and Systems, Volume 31, April 2003, pp-379-388.
48. Abu-Elhaija, W., Tindall, C.E., Martin, J.P., " Prediction of Three Phase Sudden Short Circuit Response using Finite Elements “, Proceeding 33rd Univ. Power Engineering. Conference, Edinburgh, UK, 1998.
49. Mohammed A. Khasawneh, Nael H. Thaher, Rida A. Shibli, Wejdan S. Abu Elhaija and Ahed M. Alwahadni, “Bolstering Economic Growth in the Arab Region through Commercialization of Research Outcomes- Book chapter of the book entitled Higher Education in the Arab World: Research and Development, edited by: Adnan Badran, Eilas Baydoun and John R. Hilman (the “Editor”) Springer. In Press.