Dr. Osama M.F. Abu-Sharkh is the Vice Dean of King Abdullah II School of Engineering and an Associate Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering at Princess Sumaya University for Technology. He received the B.Sc. degree from University of Jordan, Amman, Jordan, in 1999, the M.Sc. degree from University of North Carolina, Charlotte, NC, USA, in 2001 and the Ph.D. degree from University of Minnesota Twin Cities, Minneapolis, MN, USA, in 2006, all in electrical engineering. He joined the Communications Engineering Department at Princess Sumaya University for Technology (PSUT), Amman, Jordan in September 2007. He served as the Chair of the Communications Engineering Department from February 2012 to September 2014 and from September 2016 to September 2017. Dr. Abu-Sharkh has been the responsible and anchor person for ABET accreditation of the communications engineering program and led the department's effort to attain ABET accreditation in this field for the first time in Jordan. Dr. Abu-Sharkh is also a member of the Computer Engineering Department, Networks and Information Security Engineering program. Dr. Abu-Sharkh received many national and international awards and recognition including the international Region 8 IEEE Outstanding Branch Counselor and Advisor Award in 2012 and the Distinguished Researcher Award from PSUT in 2018. Dr. Abu-Sharkh is a member of the IEEE communications, computer, vehicular technology, signal processing and intelligent transportation systems societies and a member of ACM. Dr. Abu-Sharkh participated in organizing and conducting many local and international conferences and events. His current research interests are in the broad area of wireless networking including mobile communications, smart cities, Internet of Things, wireless networks security, and signals & multimedia processing in addition to e-learning and education.
Vice Dean of King Abdullah II School of Engineering
King Abdullah II School of Engineering
- Abu-Sharkh, O.M.F.; "Performance Analysis of Smartphone-based Mobile WiFi Hotspots Operating in a Congested Environment”, the 6th International Conference on Electrical Engineering, Computer Science and Informatics (EECSI 2019), September 18-20, 2019, Bandung, Indonesia.
- J. Haimour and Abu-Sharkh, O.M.F.; "Energy Efficient Sleep/Wake-up Techniques for IOT: A survey”, the IEEE Jordan International Joint Conference on Electrical Engineering and Information Technology (JEEIT 2019), April 9- 11, 2019, Amman, Jordan.
- Abu-Sharkh, O.M.F.; "Performance Anomalies of Smartphone-based Mobile Wi-Fi Hotspots”, the 3 rd International Conference on Recent Advances in Signal Processing, Telecommunications & Computing (SigTelCom 2019), March 21– 22, 2019, HaNoi, Vietnam.
- Abu-Sharkh, O.M.F., AlQaralleh, E.A. and Hasan, O.M.; "Adaptive Device-to-device Communication Using Wi-Fi Direct in Smart Cities", Wireless Networks ( Impact Factor (IF) = 1.584, Thomson Reuters 2016 Journal Citation Reports® ), Vol. 23 (7), 2017, 2197-2213.
- Abu-Sharkh, O.M.F. and Dabain, Z.; "GreenBikeNet: an Intelligent Mobile Application with Green Wireless Networking for Cycling in Smart Cities", Mobile Networks and Applications ( Impact Factor (IF) = 3.259, Thomson Reuters 2016 Journal Citation Reports® ), Vol. 21 (2), 2016, 352-366.
- AlQaralleh, E.A. and Abu-Sharkh, O.M.F.; "Low-complexity motion estimation design using modified XOR function", Multimedia Tools and Applications ( Impact Factor (IF) = 1.530, Thomson Reuters 2016 Journal Citation Reports® ), , Vol. 75 (24), 2016, 16809-16834.
- Hasan, O.M., Taha, M. and Abu-Sharkh, O.M.F.; "Outage Capacity and Outage Rate Performance of MIMO Free-space Optical System over Strong Turbulence Channel", Journal of Modern Optics ( Impact Factor (IF) = 1.328, Thomson Reuters 2016 Journal Citation Reports® ), Vol. 63 (11), 2016, 1106-1114.
- Abu-Sharkh, O.M.F. and AlQaralleh, E.A.; "A Hardware-efficient Block Matching Unit for H.265/HEVC Motion Estimation Engine Using Bit-Shrinking", Jordanian Journal of Computers and Information Technology, Vol. 2 (2), 2016, 138-154.
- Abu-Sharkh, O.M.F.; "A Joint Frequency Band and Channel Adaptation Algorithm for Wi-Fi based Single-hop MANETs", The 2016 International Conference on Computational Science and Computational Intelligence (CSCI'16), December 15-17, 2016, Las Vegas, NV, USA.
- Van der Heijden, R. W., Al-Momani, A., Kargl F. and Abu-Sharkh, O.M.F.; "Enhanced Position Verification for VANETs using Subjective Logic", The 84th IEEE Vehicular Technology Conference (VTC2016-Fall), September 2016, Montréal, Canada.
- Shnoudi, T., Abu Hadba, L., Zabadne, M., Abu-Sharkh, O.M.F. and Sababha, B.H., "Digitizing the Content of a Whiteboard to Aid Traditional Educators and Enhance the Learning Experience of Students", The 12th International Conference on Frontiers in Education: Computer Science & Computer Engineering within The 2016 World Congress in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, & Applied Computing, July 2016, Las Vegas, NV, USA.
- Abu-Sharkh, O.M.F. and Tewfik, A.H.; "Toward Accurate Modeling of the IEEE 802.11 e EDCA under Finite Load and Error-prone Channel", IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications ( Impact Factor (IF) = 4.951, Thomson Reuters 2016 Journal Citation Reports®), Vol. 7 (7), 2008, 2560-2570.
- AlQaralleh, E.A., Abu-Sharkh, O.M.F. and AlQaralleh, B.A.Y.; "MATLAB/Simulink-based Verification Environment for Motion Estimation in H. 264/AVC", The 5th International Conference on Digital Information and Communication Technology and its Applications (DICTAP2015), April 2015, Beirut, Lebanon.
- AlWreikat, L., Chai, R. and Abu-Sharkh, O.M.F.; "Energy-Efficiency Based Resource Allocation for D2D Communication and Cellular Networks", The 4th IEEE International Conference on Big Data and Cloud Computing (BDCloud 2014), December 2014, Sydney, Australia.
- Abu-Sharkh, O.M.F., Al-Hamad, A.M., Abdelrahim, T.M. and Akour, M.H.; "Dynamic Multi-band Allocation Scheme for a Stand-alone Wireless Access Point", The 26th Biennial Symposium on Communications (QBSC 2012), May 2012, Kingston, Canada.
- Abu-Sharkh, O.M.F., Qandah, R., Baba, M. and Sabah M.; "Dynamic Frequency Allocation Scheme for a Standalone Wireless Access Point", The 35th IEEE Sarnoff Symposium, May 2012, Newark, NJ, USA.
- Abu-Sharkh, O.M.F. and Abdelhadi, M.J.; "The Impact of Multi-Rate Operation on A-MSDU, A-MPDU and Block Acknowledgment in Greenfield IEEE802.11n Wireless LANs", The 7th IEEE International Conference on Wireless Advanced (WiAd 2011), June 2011, London, UK.
- Abu-Sharkh, O.M.F.; "Cross-layer Design for Supporting Infrastructure and Ad-hoc Modes Integration in MIMO Wireless Networks", The 7th IEEE International Conference on Wireless Advanced (WiAd 2011), June 2011, London, UK.
- Abu-Sharkh, O.M.F. and Tewfik, A.H.; "Analyzing the Impact of Various Modulation and Coding Schemes on the MAC Layer of IEEE 802.11 WLANs", Analytical and Stochastic Modeling Techniques and Applications, Lecture Notes in Computer Science series, Vol. 5513, 2009, 103-115.
- Abu-Sharkh, M.F., Abu-Sharkh, O.M.F., Alkhusaibi, T.M. and Alhadi, H.S.; "False Operation of Protective Relays in Oman Electricity Power System and Its Remedies", The 12th International Middle East Power System Conference (MEPCON 2008), March 2008, Aswan, Egypt.
- Abu-Sharkh, O.M.F. and Tewfik, A.H.; "Cross-layer-based Modeling of IEEE 802.11 Wireless LANs with MIMO Links", The IEEE Global Communication Conference (GLOBECOM 2006), November 2006, San Francisco, CA, USA.
- Abu-Sharkh, O.M.F. and Tewfik, A.H.; "Multi-Rate 802.11 WLANs", The IEEE Global Communication Conference (GLOBECOM 2005), November 2005, St. Louis, MO, USA.
- Abu-Sharkh, O.M.F. and Tewfik, A.H.; "Performance Analysis of Multi-Rate 802.11 WLANs Under Finite Load And Saturation Conditions", The 62nd IEEE Vehicular Technology Conference (VTC2005-Fall), September 2005, Dallas, TX, USA.
- Abu-Sharkh, O.M.F. and Tewfik, A.H.; "A Scheduling Scheme to Enhance Throughput In Infrastructure-mode 802.11 WLANs", The International Symposium on Wireless Systems and Networks, November 2005, Dhahran, Saudi Arabia.
- Abu-Sharkh, O.M.F. and Tewfik, A.H.; "Throughput Evaluation and Enhancement in 802.11 WLANs with Access Point", The 61st IEEE Vehicular Technology Conference (VTC2005-Spring), May 2005, Stockholm, Sweden.
- Abu-Sharkh, O.M.F. and Tewfik, A.H.; "A TDMA based scheduling scheme in 802.11b WLANs with Access Point", The International Conference on Information Technology: Coding and Computing (ITCC'05), April 2005, Las Vegas, NV, USA.